There are monsters out there.
Most people don’t believe in them, but they’re real. Mostly, when someone finds out that monsters are real, that’s just before they die.
But some people are mean enough, smart enough, crazy enough, or hurt enough, that they live. And some of those people go and hunt down more.
That’s who you are – someone who decided to go on a crusade against the evil critters that are scurrying around out there.
It could be that you make a stand and defend your hometown from everything evil that comes there.
It could be you take to the road and go find them.
It could be you have magic powers that help out.
It could be that your name came up in prophecies thousands of years ago.
The one sure thing is you aren’t gonna go back to your old, safe life.
What’s Going On?
Monster of the Week is an action-horror roleplaying game about hunting down evil monsters.
You can get a taste of the game by looking at the hunter playbooks in the files section.
Buying Monster of the Week
You can get the book and PDF direct from Evil Hat, plus it may be found in game stores all over the place.
The PDF is available at DriveThruRPG.
The Tome of Mysteries
Available now! Tome of Mysteries at Evil Hat Productions or [PDF at driveThruRPG]
If you’re on twitter, follow @MotW_rpg for news.
You can also grab The Meddling Kids In: Too Many Draculas! which is a comedy mystery suited to a one-shot game or as a “comedy episode” in an ongoing game.
Marek Golonka has written some mysteries that you can find on DriveThruRPG.
Portuguese: by Luiz Borges Monstro da Semana.
Italian: by Narrativa: Il Mostro della Settimana.
Actual Play & Streams
Q: Do I need a copy of Apocalypse World to play Monster of the Week?
A: No, Monster of the Week is a stand-alone game. The mechanics are based on Apocalypse World, but you won’t need a copy.
Q: Where can I get a copy of the handouts?
A: Hit “Files” on the menu above.
Errata (revised edition)
- Countdowns: “Dusk” should come after “Sunset” (by definition, which I didn’t realise back then). Switch these two elements of your countdowns, so they go Day, Shadows, Sunset, Dusk, Nightfall, Midnight.
- Advanced Improvements: All hunters should have a single “Get back one used Luck mark” as one of their advanced improvements. The Mundane is unchanged, with two of these in their advanced list.
- Crooked weapons (page 39): The submachinegun and assault rifle should have “area” tags, not “auto.”
- Hold example (page 100): The example mentions gaining 3 hold from an investigate a mystery result, which is not normally possible.
Errata (first edition)
- Manipulate Someone (page 61, Hunter Reference Sheet): The text for manipulate someone is not consistent between the discussion in the hunter and keeper sections and the hunter reference sheet. The canonical text change is for the 10+ result for bystanders, which should read: “If you get 10+, then they’ll do it for the reason you gave them.” There’s an updated hunter reference sheet in the files section here.